Royal Ascot

Ever since we moved to London I have been wanting to go to Royal Ascot. This year I finally had the opportunity to attend. I went with three good friends and we had such a great time! We started the day with brunch at Canteen at the Royal Festival Hall and then hopped on a train at Waterloo Station to make the 50 minute journey to Ascot. The train was packed with race-goers all very excited to get to the track.

When we arrived at Ascot station we followed the crowds making their way to the track. After a bit of a ticket dilemma (read: I somehow lost my tickets en route) we entered the gates to Royal Ascot. The scene was so overwhelming I didn’t know where to look first. The track facilities themselves are quite nice, but what had my attention jumping all over the place were the all the amazing hats and outfits of the race-goers. People put a lot of attention and detail into the outfits they wear to Ascot. Our little foursome was pretty conservative when it came to our outfits (as seen below), but I’d say we were the exception, not the rule.

Before the races started we got a little glimpse of the Queen and her Guards.

There were so many great outfits to chose from, I probably took about 100 photos of hats alone! Below I’ve picked out a few of my favorites.

Mid-way through the races we had a nice little afternoon tea that we had pre-ordered. I’m not sure why it was called afternoon tea because there was no tea to be had, only champagne.

We were very lucky to have such beautiful weather the day we went.

Three of us pooled our resources and placed a few bets on several of the races. I get overly excited if I win anything no matter how small, but we actually walked away with about £100 in winnings. Not bad.

After the races were over everybody moved out to the parade ring for a group sing-along.

The atmosphere for the day was very festive and happy. Everyone seemed to be having such a good time, enjoying the races and the beautiful weather. Even though it was a really long day the actual races seemed to go by so quickly. I wasn’t ready for it to end.

I have now been to four of the six “English” sporting events that I have on my list. Rugby, football, Henley Royal Regatta and Royal Ascot horse races. Next up: cricket and polo!

No Expedia Change or Cancel Fees on Hotels

8 thoughts on “Royal Ascot

1. Denise says:

what a wonderful experience. love the pix of the hats. i can't decide which is my favorite. the peacock hat was amazing. and you saw the queen! you are so cool.

2. Charles says:

Only 5 sporting events? Didn't you also go to Wimbledon AND British Open?

3. Jennifer says:

Whoops! Forgot those other two. Wimbledon and The British Open were pretty great.

4. Karin says:

Thanks Jen, that was almost as much fun as being there!

5. gcotharn says:

Love your report and photos, and will link it on my blog, likely on Wed or Thu. Hope you continue having a wonderful stay in England.In meantime, it would be a great favor to Tatyana and I if you knew what these mystery train tracks are used for: photo If you know, thanks so much, as we will be able to sleep at night.

6. kate says:

Great to see all the photos! It was such an amazing day … I certainly didn't want it to end. Hey – did you ever find your ticket?

7. gcotharn says:

Jennifer,Thanks for your effort on this! Now that I know you called the racecourse, only to find an employee who did not know (or care?! LOL) what the track was for, I am a bit more intrigued than before. That track is going to end up being used for the most mundane and innocuous purpose, yet I am starting to feel determination to discover that purpose.This is my questTo find the purpose of that trackNo matter how hopelessNo matter how wackTo fight for the infoWithout question or pauseTo be willing to email Ascot public relationsFor a completely goofy causeAnd I know if I’ll only be trueTo this glorious questThat my heart will lie peaceful and calmWhen I’m laid to my restAnd the world will be better for thisThat one man, scorned and covered with scarsStill strove with his last ounce of courageTo reach the unreachable star!

8. mikejenny says:

LOVED the pics of all the hats…made my day…the "Most Inappropriate" was hilarious and the perfect one to end with!